On the Web:
- Play Hoop Stars at HelpKidzLearn
- Kobe Bryant Tar Heel Reader Book (search for Tar Heel Reader Books)
- With students create a Power Point, SwitchIt Maker or similar program with pictures of Kobe and LeBron, set to "We are the Champions" or another favorite and run with switches
- Basketball Jars/Bottles - using large clean clear plastic jars or bottles (i.e. mayo, peanut butter water bottle or new dollar store jars) make Basketball sensory jars. Option one: offer students small objects to sort into "you find it at a basketball game" or "you don't find it at a basketball game" include things like a small toy basket ball, pieces of a cut up net/hoop, pop corn, a mini sneaker, cheerleader pom pom, etc. once objects are sorted put into jar and hot glue the lid on. Option 2: fill a water bottle with 10 parts water or clear corn syrup. Add beads and confetti from the craft or party store in a basketball theme. Hot glue the lid on and shake away. Sensory Bottles Link.
- Play table top pong pong basketball
- Play trash can basketball (with or without one of those little clip on hoops you can get at discount stores) or another version of adapted basketball
- Have a basketball obstacle course which includes skills appropriate to your population (bouncing, dribbling, lift the ball over head, pass the ball, roll the ball, etc.)
- Play other ball games with a basketball (instead of hot potato play burning basketball, etc.)
- Tissue Paper Basket Ball Collage
- Billy Basketball at DLTK (good project to review body parts)
- purchase a bunch of dollar/discount store toy/mini basketballs and do some "marble" painting
- work on personal information by making "Basketball Trading Cards" that include name, birth date and other "stats"
- while playing any of the adapted PE games or Hoop Stars online keep score and work on counting, adding or probability
- recruit some peer buddies to have a shoot out, again work on counting, adding and probability
- collect various objects about half of which are spheres and half of which are not sort them into "ball" and "not ball"