Thursday, October 8, 2009

Our iPod Touch


Over six months ago I wrote a Donors Choose grant application for an iPod Touch for my classroom and about a month ago it was fulfilled. A few weeks ago it arrived. A week after that I purchased an iMainGo speaker case (which I will need to replace as we seem to have gotten a dud - I have had many iMainGos and it is an awesome solution, but this one has been terrible). One of the things our classroom staff marveled at was how quickly some of our students mastered turning up the volume while music was playing!

Our iPod Touch has quickly become one of the most valuable tools in out classroom. It is loaded with the following:
We have used the iPod Touch:
  • as a reward for positive behavior
  • as a way to increase student exposure to music
  • for students to listen to books and poems while stretching or resting
  • as a way to distract students and thus increase prone stander tolerance
  • as a way for our students to be just like the other kids

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for all of the ideas! I also wrote a grant for an ipod touch through Donorchoose! I have been using mine, and my students love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am on the edge of buying this, with Proloquo2go. It looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have 2 in my room. One with music, games, podcasts, videos, audio books, etc. The other with Proloquo2go. It is amazing to see what the kids can do with them... Some of my students struggle with staying on task while working in a group. Using the ipod touch as a motivator and reward while I work with different children, allows the students to stay engaged for an extended period of time. It is wonderful and well worth any extra work around it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think we will be getting the Proloquo2go for Max and imaingo speakers, too, or live speakers (http://www.livespeakr.com/product-overview). We find his Dynavox clunky and not so convenient to haul around. Happy, happy holidays! Thanks for being so wonderfully helpful and informative all year round.

    ReplyDelete

Comments and respectful discussion are welcome and encouraged! No advertisements or spamming.

Contact Me at:

Contact Me at:

Visit our advertisers:

Fujitsu Computer Systems Corporation SpinLife.com, LLC Try Nick Jr. Boost FREE for 7 Days LabelDaddy.com ... Label the things you love !! Build-A-Bear HearthSong - Toys Outlet