|least expensive over five years $99.99|
Those of us who have been around a while notice that the "old time" companies like Dynavox, PRC (LAMP Words for Life), Saltillo (TouchChat) and Attainment (Go Talk Now) seem to be the ones trying to find every possible way to charge us without coming out and saying it. I understand they need to find a new business model that will allow them to stay afloat in a new post-iPad AAC world, but somehow I think this isn't the way to do it. Quality, beautiful, easy-to-use, research based products will have us in the field spending money. Add to that customer service, and not necessarily in the old way (call centers) but in new ways like through Facebook, Twitter, Skype and YouTube (and more) and setting up groups for customers to support each other. That is what will make money. Assuming AAC professionals and parents are stupid enough to fork over all sorts of money because your company is one of the oldest players on the field will not make money. Some the legacy companies mistook customer dependence for loyalty in the past!
Also here is some free advice for AAC app companies:
1) schools and adult service agencies generally cannot make in app purchases because of how their purchase order system works
2) schools, adult service agencies and state rehabilitation and assistive technology agencies do not generally pay for subscriptions. They don't know their budget from year to year and they aren't able to pay for ongoing subscriptions for just a handful of clients
3) parents and agencies that do a fundraiser such as Gofundme are better off fundraising for one larger up front purchase than ceaseless fundraising to pay for subscriptions
3) people, schools and other agencies included are generally willing to pay for quality, complete solutions
|most expensive over five year $1499.95|
I did a little cost analysis. This analysis assumes you will use a comprehensive vocabulary set, picture symbols for communication, a premium voice and some means of backing up your pages.
The five year cost for some of the apps are as follows (click link below to see chart):
- Sonoflex, $99.99
- Go Talk Now $212.96
- Proloquo2Go $219.00
- Lamp Words for Life $299.99 ($1294.95 with iShare)
- TouchChat HD $311.97 ($911.87 with iShare)
- Dynavox Compass $1499.95