Monday, November 12, 2007

Donors Choose Challenge

Calling all special education stake holders, especially other special needs and disability bloggers. I am creating a challenge.

Donors Choose is "a simple way to provide students in need with resources that our public schools often lack. At this not-for-profit web site, teachers submit project proposals for materials or experiences their students need to learn. These ideas become classroom reality when concerned individuals, whom we call Citizen Philanthropists, choose projects to fund."

Click here to participate.

A commenter (Ricky) informed me that it is not possible to donate to Donors Choose from overseas. I e-mailed Donors Choose and received the following reply:

Hi Kate –

Unfortunately, due to Patriot Act regulations – we are not technically allowed to accept donations from non-US Citizens. Kind of a pain, I know. However, if donors outside the US want to donate the can follow the following tips for registering their overseas address. Feel free to pass it along:

When registering you should include your city, province (or county) and post code in the “ADDRESS LINE 2” field and your country in the “CITY” field. Then select New York as your state. Enter 5 zeroes as your “ZIPCODE.” For example:

Name: Dr. Dietrick Donor

Address: 345 Hillside Avenue

Adress 2: Saskatoon, SK S7L 0V6

City: CANADA

State: NY

Zip: 00000

Thanks!

Zach

4 comments:

  1. The Donors Choose site only accepts USA-based donators, by the way. Or at least donators willing to list a USA postal address. This is not terribly clear from their documentation.

    Ricky

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I know. Until recently it only covered parts of the USA. I am happy to create a challenge for similar efforts in other places. Send me a link.

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  3. I misunderstood that, I thought you meant that they only accepted USA based proposals (which is also true). I have e-mailed Donors Choose to ask how those overseas can donate. I will keep you posted.

    Thanks so much for the comment!

    -Kate

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the extra info from Donors Choose! I got a bunch of "gift certificates" that I could use for Donors Choose projects a while back through LiveJournal and I asked a USA friend if I could put down their address so I could use them - it worked, but the solution you posted from them is much better.

    I wish there was a program like this for Aussie schools and community groups, being Australian and all I'd like to support local places but I don't know of anything like this.

    Ricky
    ATMac - http://atmac.org/ - Assistive Tech for Mac OS X Users

    ReplyDelete

Comments and respectful discussion are welcome and encouraged! No advertisements or spamming.

Contact Me at:

Contact Me at:

Visit our advertisers:

Fujitsu Computer Systems Corporation SpinLife.com, LLC Try Nick Jr. Boost FREE for 7 Days LabelDaddy.com ... Label the things you love !! Build-A-Bear HearthSong - Toys Outlet